Talent Lab - Grant Writing and Project Pitching
Led by the Tribeca Film Institute®
In an exciting new collaboration, the Tribeca Film Institute® (TFI) will be leading a full-day Talent Lab for Southeast Asian filmmakers on grant writing and project pitching at the 7th Luang Prabang Film Festival. After sessions of instruction, practice, and a pitch forum with feedback given by various industry professionals, one project showing great promise will be selected by TFI to attend the TFI Network market, which will take place in New York City at the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival®. There, TFI will arrange meetings for the filmmaker with editors, distributors, and financiers. TFI will then mentor him or her through the completion of the project.
Activities During Talent Lab on 3 December 2017
1. Learning How to PitchFilmmakers complete an exercise to talk about their projects and begin to hone their pitches in a clear and engaging way. The session will be a practical, back-to-basics approach to clarify what the filmmakers'stories are about, and what they are looking to convey to help to keep their pitch focused.
2. Practicing the PitchFilmmakers volunteer to present their pitches to the group, and TFI will provide feedback on pitches and improvised meetings. TFI will help review questionnaires for the projects and comment if the pitch accomplished the story they are trying to tell. Other projects can weigh in for peer-to-peer review.
3. Group Lunch and Informal MeetingsTFI and other invited industry meet with filmmakers in an informal round-table setting, providing more opportunity to discuss the projects and pitches.
4. Public Discussion: Funding/Grants Info SessionTFI leads a short session on funds available to filmmakers, with dates and the processes to apply. TFI will speak to the "do's and don'ts" on writing a grant application and tips on taking a funding meeting. TFI will present examples of successful applications, and give advice on improvements, with a Q&A discussion included.
5. Pitch ForumEach project will pitch in front of the group, improving upon the comments from the morning session. Working alongside various industry professionals, TFI will form a feedback panel to provide detailed notes on each pitch. The panel will choose one project to join the TFI Network market at the Tribeca Film Festival 2017.
- Applicant must be a national of one of the ten ASEAN countries, and the project must be shot, at least primarily, in the region.
- Applicant's project should be ready, or almost ready, to pitch to industry for financing.
- Scripted projects must be able to submit a first draft of a script, at least.
- Documentary projects should be in early production, with at least five minutes of footage to present.
- Selected participants must be able to cover their own expenses to attend the Talent Lab, and must stay in Luang Prabang for at least the nights of December 2nd and 3rd. Staying longer is encouraged, to benefit from festival's Public Discussions, Q&As, screenings, and other activities.
- Applicant must be available to attend the TFI Network market, which will take place during next year's Tribeca Film Festival, 19-30 April 2016.
- Completed applications or questions should be sent to LPFF Festival Coordinator Jessica Arce.
- Applications will be accepted until 12pm (Bangkok time) on 11 November 2016.
- Eight projects will be chosen for participation, based on the merits of the proposed project, a proven track record for successful previous works, and diversity within the selected projects.
- Chosen projects will be notified by 18 November 2016.