Selections from the 2015 Mini-Vientianale
The Vientianale International Film Festival celebrates the art of film and the diversity of Lao culture in the country's capital, Vientiane. The annual festival showcases an exciting program of international feature and short films, emerging as an important platform for local filmmakers to screen their works. Due to popular demand, in 2013 the festival launched Mini-Vientianale, Laos' first dedicated short film festival. A highlight of the festival program is its short film competition, which, in 2015, attracted 22 entries from Lao filmmakers and foreign filmmakers living in Laos, working to the theme of “Back to the Roots.” The collection screened at this year's Luang Prabang Film Festival showcases the winning entries, as well as additional top picks from the Vientianale team.
All films are in Lao language with English subtitles. The full collection will be screened every day at 2pm.
- My Father's Handprint // Kesone Keola // 7'// First Prize
A young man is caught between his love for b-boy culture and his father's traditional beliefs.
- The Partner // Ka Xiong // 7'
One person's trash is another's treasure.
- Whose Daughter? // Anoulek Douangdala // 6' // Second Prize
A schoolgirl goes out to party and has an awkward encounter.
- The Medicine Boy // Yia Xong // 7'
Children in the forest remember their heritage.
- My Money // 7' // Pouthong Luangkoth // Third Prize (Tied)
An innocent party becomes an eerie encounter with the afterlife.
- Gokura Space // Nirankoon Singpraseuth // 4' // Special Mention
A journey into space.
- The Orphan // Novice Lar Saiageth // 7'
A young orphan shunned from his village proves himself.
- Peace will Become True // Thavisap Khampoumy // 4' // Special Mention
A family experiences the impacts of war.
- Roots Life // Ananda Kenchan // 7' // Third Prize (Tied)
The connection between wildlife and humans.