Animation Storytelling Workshop:
Feature Film Story and Pitch Development
The American Film Showcase (AFS), in collaboration with U.S. Embassy Vientiane and the Luang Prabang Film Festival (LPFF), is pleased to announce a six-day animation workshop, which will take place on December 7-12, 2018, during the 9th Luang Prabang Film Festival.
Through trainings focused on story and pitch development for animated feature film, 12 animators from ASEAN member states will have the chance to develop their skills in a master class with Academy Award®-winning producer Aron Warner (Shrek, Shrek 2, Book of Life) and visual development artist Arthur Fong (The Croods, Kung Fu Panda 3).
In this scenic UNESCO World Heritage site, up to five teams of writer/directors and artists (illustrators, concept artists, designers), in addition to character designers, will spend five days workshopping their animated feature film ideas. The program will culminate with a final pitch in which participants will present materials they developed during the week, including a film treatment, synopsis, character images, and world images.
Flights, accommodation, and meals will all be covered by the program.
Participant Program Dates
- Arrival Date: December 6
- Program Dates: December 7 – December 11
- Final Presentations/Pitches: December 12
- Departure Date: December 13
Luang Prabang, Lao PDR
Application and Selection Process
- Only nationals of the 10 ASEAN countries will be considered.
- Participants must be proficient in English.
- Animators may apply as individuals or as teams of 1 writer/direct + 1 artist.
- Participants are expected to have an idea for a project they can bring to the workshop.
- Ideal candidates are mid-career animation professionals with several years of experience.
- Applicants must be available to be in Luang Prabang on December 6-13, 2018.
- Submission Deadline: September 24
- Notification Deadline: October 31
- Resume / CV
- A treatment or outline of the project you are hoping to focus on in the workshop. (3 page maximum)
- Any audio-visual material related your their project.
- From Artists: A digital portfolio of 10-15 images of previous work.
- From Writer/Directors: A writing sample from a screenplay or original fiction of 10 pages or fewer.
Please send the information listed above to your country’s US Embassy Public Affairs Officer:
Brunei: Dian Idris
Cambodia: Arend Zwartjes
Indonesia: Jed Dornburg
Laos: Amelia Shaw
Malaysia: Michael Quinlan
Myanmar: Winifred Hofstetter
Philippines: Sheila Conti
Singapore: Kerry Driver
Thailand: Laila Bunnag
Vietnam: Karen Tang